Semen is a white or grey liquid, but
can occasionally appear yellowish. Pink or red semen suggests
that blood is present. Although this is only rarely due to a
serious health problem.
Usually, each milliliter of semen contains millions of
spermatozoa (sperm), but the majority of the volume consists of
secretions of the glands in the male reproductive organs.
The purpose of semen is purely for reproduction, as a vehicle to
carry the spermatozoa into the female reproductive tract.
The WHO provides a definition of a 'normal' sperm count:
- the concentration of spermatozoa
should be at least 20 million per ml.
- the total volume of semen should
be at least 2ml.
- the total number of spermatozoa
in the ejaculate should be at least 40 million.
- at least 75 per cent of the
spermatozoa should be alive (it is normal for up to 25 per
cent to be dead).
- at least 30 per cent of the
spermatozoa should be of normal shape and form.
- at least 25 per cent of the
spermatozoa should be swimming with rapid forward movement.
- at least 50 per cent of the
spermatozoa should be swimming forward, even if only
Causes for low sperm count:
Tight underpants, bathing in very hot water, sitting for long
hours, over weight in which fat layers sag on testicles reduce
Very frequent semen ejaculation also lead to lowered sperm
count and man may become effectively infertile. Hence
maintaining a gap of 3 days between two consecutive ejaculations
keeps a man more fertile.
Smoking, Excessive alcohol intake.
Over exertion physically and mentally
Infections present in prostate gland.
Malformed genital organs.
Anabolic steroid use
10 Ways you can Increase Your Sperm
1. Have sex & masturbate less often - the more times you
ejaculate, the less dense your semen will be. Maintain a gap of
3 days between two consecutive ejaculations.
2. Refrain from habits like smoking, alcohol consumption etc.
- Alcohol affects your liver function, which, in turn, causes a
dramatic rise in estrogen levels. Even two drinks a day will
have long-term effects on sperm production
3. Exercise regularly. Exercising your PC muscle can help you
shoot further than ever before.
4. Eat Nutritious Food - Diet that's low in fat, and high in
protein, vegetables, and whole grains is good for your health
and for your sperm. Avoid bitter, astringent and spicy foods.
Reduce caffeine intake
5. Avoid heating of testicles - Wear loose, cotton boxer
shorts, Avoid hot baths and saunas
6. Lose any excess weight, which tends to cause testosterone/oestrogen
7. Reduce stress levels by learning relaxation techniques -
Keep your mind and body healthy by regular practice of YOGA and
8. Massage body with herbal oil, which improves blood
9. Try supplements - Certain natural supplements promise to
increase sperm production. Checkout some Natural and Herbal, no
side effects supplements at
10. Make love in the early morning or afternoon. Sperm levels
are often highest in the mornings.