Principles of Yoga
Patanjali's Eight Principles of Yoga
- Abstinence (yama)
- Observance (niyama)
- Posture (asana)
- Regulation of breath (pranayama)
- Withdrawal of Senses (pratyahara)
- Concentration (dharana)
- Meditation (dhyana)
- Super Consciousness (samadhi)
Swami Sivananda's Modified Five Principles of Yoga
1. Proper relaxation
- Releases tension in the muscles
- Helps letting go of all worries
- Ensures conservation of energy
2. Proper exercise
- Yoga postures - to be performed as per body constitution.
- Yogic consultation is a must.
- Correct postures work systematically on all parts of the
body. Stretching and toning the muscles & ligaments. Keeping the
spine and joints flexible. Improving the blood circulation.
3. Proper breathing (pranayama)
- Brings an extraordinary balance in the consciousness
- Teaches you to control your mental state by regulating the
flow of the life force.
4. Proper diet
- Chart out a well-nourished balanced diet.
- Keeps the body light and supple and the mind calm.
- Resists ailments.
5. Positive Thinking & Meditation
- Removes negative thoughts. Stills the mind.
- You attain super-consciousness. A state beyond time, space